Monday, December 31, 2012

Beans, Beans, the Musical... Uh, Fruit?

I've been quite clear before; oatmeal is my soulmate.  Tea and rice are also staples.  However, another Godsend that should be discussed is the inexpensive, glorious legume.

Chickpeas for snacks and hummus; black beans for tacos; northern, kidney, and blackeye for soups; pinto for refried beans, lentils for everything...

It is my opinion that buying the dry ones and cooking them is better than the canned beans.  It is adventurous! And I can get the consistency I desire - softer, harder, infused with certain flavors.

My basic method for everything except the lentils is to soak in a bowl overnight, drain and give them a good rinse, then toss them in a slow cooker with plenty of water and/or broth.  Set it on a low setting and check back in 6 to 8 hours, adding spices or herbs as needed throughout the cooking stages.

soaking black beans


Special added bonus: save the water that the beans soaked in and give it to your plants!  When the beans soak, some of their nutrients (including nitrogen) is lost to the water.  Pouring that water on your plants gives them a bit of free fertilizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment