Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Cold-Weather Update

I despise winter.  Deep down, I understand that (at least for my location) winter is one part of the process that is life.  Things grow, bear fruit, grow old, and die.  Winter is integral to renewal.  That philosophical inclination aside, I still hate winter.

In that spirit, I perked my mood by placing my first order (an archaic, old-timey "mail-in order", nonetheless!) for plant seeds.  They are heirloom, organic, and are coming from a (relatively) local producer. With any luck (and large quantities of reading, studying, and learning throughout the rest of this off season), I will be growing fresh greens in no time.  And then, this year, hopefully I can save seeds back for next year! Yay, free food!

I'll update you regarding my success (and, possibly, failure) as the year progresses.

On another front, I'm going to learn to make cheese.  I did, and still do, the "sourdough" thing.  I've tried making yogurt (less successfully); I've fermented vegetables.  It was only a matter of time before this came up.  So I'm looking for literature in the matter from my local library.

And you, dear readers, will be getting updates.

Be warned.


No comments:

Post a Comment