Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Getting to the Heart of Hippiedom

First, I already don't buy new clothes.  I've got one nice dress suit.  I've got clothes that I wore in high school that I patch and repair and mend to make work.  I get occasional hand-me-downs from relatives.  And if this used-clothes stigma didn't make me enough of a dirty hippie, the rest of the post will convince you otherwise...

I've weened myself from "regularly scheduled" haircut appointments.  Tired of paying for it.  Especially since haircuts for style are a bit ridiculous anyway.  But, now I'm also part of the no-'poo society.  'Poo, as in shampoo, not bowel movements.

I still shower, but I use basic, homemade soap.  And now, I don't use shampoo to wash my hair.  Shampoo is expensive, unnecessary, and loaded with synthetic shit.  Instead, I make a solution of baking soda and water. I pour that into my hair, massage well, and rinse.  Just before I get out of the shower, I mist my hair with a cider vinegar/water solution (as a conditioner), and I let it dry in my hair.  Sometimes I just pour the vinegar over the hair and duck under the shower head briefly to wet it more before massaging it in.  The vinegar doesn't smell once it is dry.

I'll admit, it's grimey at first.  It's not the soft, sweet smelling, flowing locks of hair that I'm used to.  But after a bit, the natural scalp oils neutralize and balance, and my hair started transforming into awesomeness.  My natural wave came back, so I can let my hair air-dry and it looks nice without any styling.  All the additives in the 'poo had been messing with its texture.  So I'm all natural and lookin' good.

Which is disappointing, because I'm not the dirty hippie (by appearances) that my stereotype should indicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment